For PAMH, Derek is an invaluable asset in the areas of real estate, business, corporate, mergers & acquisitions, securities, tax, and mining law. He’s represented countless clients in real estate development and purchase transactions of all types and sizes, from residential and commercial, to luxury golf and beach resorts. He’s provided counsel on all facets of business development, from business planning and contracts to recapitalizations and SEC filings. He has been involved in $100 Million mergers and acquisitions. He has represented professional athletes and coaches. He has represented Hollywood producers and actors. He’s put his expertise in tax law to good use, assisting corporations and investors with various tax issues and disputes. Derek has assisted clients with major rock operations in Utah and mining operational issues in Nevada and Alaska.
- Assisted in the representation of large commercial storage company in its acquisition of 63 Storage USA commercial properties involving combined assets of $2.3 billion. Was personally assigned to handle nine of the 63 properties.
- Part of the team that represented a US cable provider in its reorganization and the $25 million purchase of a 60% interest in its successor LLC.
- Assisted in the representation of an internet marketing company in an attempted $70 million asset acquisition.
- Assisted in the representation of company and its acquisition of 60% of its stock in a deal involving $30 million.
- Assisted in the representation of an Aerospace company that led to the drafting of a private placement memorandum and the purchase of 7.5% of its stock ($4 million).
- Assisted in the representation of multi-level marketing company and its $10 Million asset acquisition of a Washington company.
- Assisted in the creation of an industrial bank in Utah.
- Represented landowner in negotiations with the City of South Jordan in a potential condemnation matter; city ultimately agreed to purchase the landowner’s land for $1 million (after only initially offering $400k).
- Represented various landowners in the negotiation and sale of their land to various developers through straight purchases, options, or joint venture agreements ranging in price from $1 million to $40 million.
- Represented various landowners at different levels of the entitlement process of their land, including without limitation, submitting application, appearing before various councils and commissions, and drafting and reviewing other related documents, including purchase contracts and CC&R’s.
- Assisted with the representation of an unnamed defense contractor in a $220 Million merger transaction.
- Represented California software company in a $40 Million stock acquisition, and a subsequent merger involving $100 Million company.
- Represented authorized Northwestern U.S. Volvo dealer in a $20 Million sale of its four dealerships.
- Represented family trust in sale of $30 million-worth of land.
- Represented family trust in sale of 70 acres to Sale Lake County for Draper City Park in Utah.
- Represented family trust in multiple 1031 exchanges with the largest rock material company in the Western United States. Exchanges involved more than 300 acres of real property.
- Represented family trust in the acquisition of multiple Triple Net Lease retail properties across the country, including without limitation, Walmart, Walgreens, Wendy’s, Burger King, O’Reilly’s Auto Parts, and Hawaiian beachfront properties.
- Represented family trust in the sale of hundreds of lots to various builders, including the largest builder in Utah.
- Represented head coach of local major league soccer team in various real estate transactions.
- Represented owner of local major league soccer team in various transactions.
- Represented large developer in the acquisition of several bank notes and shopping centers.
- Represented international clients in the development and sale of a 5,000 acre gold mining operation in Alaska.
- Represented client in acquisition of $10 million private jet.
- Represented large agricultural client (with $70 million gross annual receipts from agricultural and pet care products) in negotiations with large multi-national companies like Nestle, Costco and Sam’s Club.
- Represented developer of Courtyard Marriott Hotel in Laie, Hawaii.
- Represented developer in development of hotel at Zions National Park.
- Represented a number of startup company clients in the drafting and negotiating of documents for equity and debt financings between $100,000 to $5 Million.
- Have represented numerous clients in the negotiation and document drafting of of various short and long-term loan transactions ranging from $10,000 to $5 million.
Published Works and Presentations
Author: Turning the Corporate Inversion Transaction Right Side Up: Proposed Legislation in the 108th congress Aims to Stamp Out Any Economic Vitality of the Corporate Inversion Transaction – 16 Fla. J. Int'l Law 267-300 (2004)+ View All Published Works and Presentations
Professional Admissions, Associations, and Honors
Utah State Bar
District of Columbia Bar
The Real Estate and Corporate Counsel sections of the Utah Bar Association
Utah Real Estate License Holder
Named by Utah Business Magazine as a Legal Elite in 2006, 2007, and 2009 through 2018.
Named by Utah Business Magazine in February 2011 as one of the 40 leading legal, business and community leaders in Utah under the age of 40 years old
Named as a rising star by Super Lawyers in 2010 & 2011
Utah's Legal Elite Recognition, 2016
Georgetown University Law School / L.L.M., 2004
University of Oregon School of Law / J.D., 2003
University of Utah / B.S., 2000