Before John earned his law degree from the University of Michigan, he earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in both Economics and Mathematics from the University of Iowa. That’s why he brings such a detail-oriented and analytical focus to all of his litigation matters, and why he’s been retained by big and small clients, from large banks and factoring lenders to property owners, entrepreneurs and investors.
- Obtained verdict at bench trial confirming aggregate coverage limits on behalf of insurer against asbestos mining and milling company.
- Obtained jury verdict absolving defendants of liability concerning misappropriation of trade secrets when former employees went into business for themselves, including finding that plaintiff filed the action in bad faith.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of defendant for negligence after an electrocution occurred on real property.
- Obtained settlement on behalf of commercial landlord which required tenant/plaintiff to pay substantial attorney’s fees and dismiss its claims.
- Obtained dismissal of counterclaims as a Rule 11 sanction in securities/investment litigation, where counterclaims were filed as litigation tactic against investor clients.
Vindicated Client’s First Amendment rights to publish website (www.worstceos.com) about high-profile businessman who hired quality counsel to aggressively litigate defamation claims.
Professional Admissions, Associations, and Honors
State Bar of Utah
State Bar of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Utah
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
2015 Super Lawyers - Rising Stars
2016 Super Lawyers - Rising Stars
University of Michigan Law School / J.D., 2007
University of Iowa / B.S. (Economics and Mathematics), 2002